Stuffed Peppers with Egg Toppers
North Carolina Egg Association
These easy egg-topped stuffed peppers are not only family-friendly, but camera-friendly too.
- Serves 6
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook/Bake Time: 20 minutes
- 3 large red, green or yellow bell peppers
- ¾ pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 4 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 2 slices, Muenster cheese, cut in half
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the peppers in half and remove the membranes.
- In a medium-size pan, brown ground beef; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently and breaking the meat apart with a spoon, 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Carefully drain off and discard any excess oil. Transfer to a bowl; cover with foil to keep warm. Wipe out the skillet.
- In the same medium-size pan on medium heat, heat the butter and oil until hot. Add garlic, salt and pepper; sauté 1 minute. Add onions and mushrooms; cook for additional 5-10 minutes. Return the cooked ground beef to the pan. Add beef stock to the mixture and cook an additional 5 minutes until heated throughout.
- Place a slice of Muenster cheese in the bottom of each pepper then fill with the meat mixture.
- Place stuffed pepper in a 9 x 13 baking dish and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and make 6 small divots in beef mixture with spoon; crack egg into each divot. Place back in oven and bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes or until egg whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired doneness. Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top of each egg, return to oven and bake until the cheese is melted and browned slightly, an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve.