Spicy Egg Ring
A Spicy Egg Ring in appetizer-sized portions will feed the family at any time of day.
- Serves 12
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Preparation Time: 30-40 minutes
- Cook/Bake Time: 20-25 minutes
- 6 slices bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon milk, for dough wash
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1½ tube refrigerated crescent roll dough, 12 rolls total
- 1½ cups Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1 cup breakfast sausage
- 1½ cups shredded potatoes, seasoned with salt and cayenne to taste
- 4 ounces cilantro, fresh and chopped
- 15 ounces cheesy dip, if desired
- Salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic and minced green onion, as desired
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brown sausage in a skillet until no longer pink. Remove browned sausage to a plate and wipe out skillet.
- Cook bacon in skillet over medium heat, about 4 minutes, until cooked but not crisp, turning once (bacon will cook more in the oven). Set bacon aside, save 2 teaspoons of drippings from skillet and drain remaining.
- In a medium bowl, beat 1/3 cup milk, eggs, salt and pepper with fork, add other seasonings as desired.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet. As mixture heats, eggs will begin to set. Gently push cooked portions to outside edge of skillet. Avoid stirring constantly. As more egg sets, push to edge and place on top of already set mixture. Cook 5-6 minutes or until eggs are thickened throughout, but still moist.
- Unroll crescent roll dough, separate into 12 triangles on parchment lined baking sheet with shortest sides toward center, overlapping in star shape. Be sure to leave a 5-inch circle open in the center, crescent dough points may hang over edge of baking sheet. Press overlapping edges at center to flatten.
- Place bacon on each crescent roll dough triangle. Sprinkle ½ cup cheese into widest part of dough. Add hash browns evenly among the triangles making a mounded circle. Evenly distribute browned sausage over hash browns. Spoon eggs over the sausage. Sprinkle with ¾ cup of cheese.
- Pull point of dough triangles over eggs and cheese, tuck under dough at center to form a ring (filling will be visible). Carefully brush dough with remaining 1 tablespoon milk and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool 2 minutes.
- With broad spatula, carefully loosen ring from baking sheet and slide into serving platter. Garnish with cilantro and serve with dip.
Total fat: 20 g
Saturated fat: 8 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1 g
Monounsaturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 145 mg
Sodium: 644 mg
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 5 g
Protein: 15 g
Vitamin A: 97 mcg
Vitamin D: 1 mcg
Folate: 23 mcg
Choline: 86 mg
Calcium: 132 mg
Iron: 2 mg
Potassium: 219 mg
This recipe is a good source of vitamin A and choline and an excellent source of protein.
If you have ground beef in your refrigerator, use that to substitute for the sausage. You also can use salsa instead of cheesy dip. If desired, garnish finished dish with chopped tomato, minced green, and sour cream. Learn how to make this recipe by clicking here.