Italian Egg Bake
This simple recipe can be prepped in advance and modified to feed families of all sizes.
- Serves 6
- Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook/Bake Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (approx. 2 – 2 ½ cups), peeled
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup Asiago cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper for seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium size pan, on medium-high heat; cook sausage, stirring frequently and breaking the meat apart with a spoon, 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Carefully, drain excess grease, leaving 1 tablespoon to cook sweet potatoes. Transfer cooked sausage to a bowl; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Cube sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces, approximately ¼-inch. In the same medium size pan with saved 1 tablespoon grease, sauté sweet potatoes until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and diced peppers to the bowl with the cooked sausage; stir to combine. Pour combined sausage, sweet potatoes and peppers into a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly over sausage mixture and top with asiago and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked throughout.
Don’t have sweet potatoes in your pantry? No problem! Substitute regular potatoes or just leave them out. Add cooked chicken or sausage to make it a heartier dish. This is also a great recipe to make ahead and freeze to enjoy later. Watch how to make this recipe here.