Virginia Ham and Egg Puff Pastry Tart
Flaky puff pastry crust is topped with an herb cream cheese spread, eggs, bacon and peppers to make irresistible Bacon and Egg Puff Pastry Tarts.
- Serves 6
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
- Cook/Bake Time: 8-11 minutes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, plus 2 teaspoons milk for egg wash
- 5-6 ounces of herb cream cheese spread OR crumbled goat cheese
- 3-4 slices of Virginia ham
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 6 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Line cookie sheet or pizza pan with parchment.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and stretch pastry from a square to a circle (for pizza pan) or a larger square or rectangle (for cookie sheet) – about 12 x 12” or 15 x 9”. Place on baking sheet and trim any overhanging pastry.
- Score ½” around edges with a sharp knife; prick center of pastry with a fork; brush edges with egg wash; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Break cheese into small dollops and spread evenly over pastry. Sprinkle cooked bacon pieces and red pepper on top and bake 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through.
- Remove from oven; make 6 indentations in pastry and crack eggs into each, spacing them around the pastry. Bake 8-11 minutes, or until egg whites set and yolks are nearly firm.
- Slide tart onto serving platter; garnish with parsley and cracked pepper; cut into portions and serve immediately.
Saturated Fat: 20 g
Cholesterol: 300 mg
Sodium: 2,300 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 300 g
Dietary Fiber: 28 g
Protein: 50 g
Vitamin A: 900 mcg
Vitamin C: 90 mg
Calcium: 1,300 mg
Iron: 18 mg
Vitamin D: 20 mcg
Folate: 400 µg
Choline: 550 mg
Potassium: 4700 mg
Molybdenum: 45 µg
Chloride: 2,300 mg
Don’t have ham on hand? Substitute it for bacon. You can make your own herb cream cheese by mixing together your favorite dried herbs and plain cream cheese.