Iowa Egg Council
Add scrambled eggs to delicious lasagna for a protein-packed twist.
- Serves 12
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cook/Bake Time: 35 minutes
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs, scrambled
- 2/3 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fill a large pan with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, add the lasagna noodles a few at a time, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Remove the noodles to a plate.
- Scramble eggs and mushrooms together over medium heat in a 10-inch skillet and when done, set aside in a bowl.
- Place the ground sausage into a skillet over medium heat, add the garlic powder, garlic salt, and salt and ground pepper into the skillet. Cook the meat, chopping it into small chunks as it cooks, until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease.
- In a bowl, mix the cottage cheese, 2 eggs, and parmesan cheese until thoroughly combined.
- Place 3 noodles side by side into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan; top with a layer of the diced tomatoes, a layer of sausage, a layer of cooked eggs and mushrooms, and a layer of the cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers two more times, ending with a layer of tomatoes. Sprinkle top with shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until it is bubbling and the cheese has melted, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until cheese has begun to brown.
- Allow to stand at least 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, add a slice of chilled avocado on top when serving.