California Fruit Trifle
Combine the Golden State’s favorite fruits and nuts with homemade vanilla egg custard and pound cake to make a California Fruit and Egg Custard Trifle.
- Serves 8
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook/Bake Time: 10 minutes
- 3 cups of your favorite sweetened California fresh fruit, (strawberries, kiwi, cherries, etc)
- 16-ounce pound cake
- ¼ cup jam (complimentary to fruit selection)
- One batch Vanilla Egg Custard (recipe follows)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup California almonds or walnuts – sliced or chopped
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare custard below. May be prepared in advance and refrigerated.
- Add vanilla to the cream and whip until firm peaks. Refrigerate until ready to assemble trifle.
- Cut the pound cake into one-inch thick slices. Spread thin layer of jam on half of the pound cake slices and top with the remaining slices. Alternate layers of the cake cubes and fresh fruit, starting with the cake. Pour the custard mixture over the cake. Garnish with nuts, whipped cream and remaining fruit. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Optional: You may sprinkle the cake with rum for additional flavor.
- In a saucepan, whisk together the granulated sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks.
- Whisk in milk in a continuous stream. Stir constantly over medium heat until thickened to a custard consistency. Whisk in the vanilla after removing from heat. Allow to cool completely.
Total fat: 27 g
Saturated fat: 11 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 4 g
Monounsaturated fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 168 mg
Sodium: 258 mg
Carbohydrates: 53 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 35 g
Protein: 9 g
Vitamin A: 196 mcg
Vitamin D: 1 mcg
Folate: 55 mcg
Choline: 121 mg
Calcium: 159 mg
Iron: 2 mg
Potassium: 278 mg
This recipe is a good source of folate and protein and an excellent source of vitamin A and choline.
This is a fun dish that the whole family will love. Instead of a trifle dish, use individual bowls and let everyone make their own. Use your favorite fruit combination and jam. If you don’t have fresh fruit available, use canned fruit cocktail that you have drained.