Italian Egg Bake
North Carolina Egg Association
This simple recipe can be prepped in advance and modified to feed families of all sizes.
- Serves 6
- Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook/Bake Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (approx. 2 – 2 ½ cups), peeled
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup Asiago cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper for seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium size pan, on medium-high heat; cook sausage, stirring frequently and breaking the meat apart with a spoon, 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Carefully, drain excess grease, leaving 1 tablespoon to cook sweet potatoes. Transfer cooked sausage to a bowl; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Cube sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces, approximately ¼-inch. In the same medium size pan with saved 1 tablespoon grease, sauté sweet potatoes until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and diced peppers to the bowl with the cooked sausage; stir to combine. Pour combined sausage, sweet potatoes and peppers into a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly over sausage mixture and top with asiago and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked throughout.